This speaking activity contains 30 ESL conversation questions for ES lessons. Great for teens and adult learners. (16+, B1+). It is best for small groups or as a pair-work.
The slideshow can be used as a resource for online teaching, just share your screen on Zoom or another app when teaching online. You can use it for a group discussion or if you want to use the activity in smaller groups, assign your students into breakout rooms and send them the PDF with the conversation questions before your lesson. During the lesson, pop into the breakout rooms to listen in and observe.
You can use the video below – How to Never Run out of Things to Say – Keep a Conversation Flowing! as a warm-up.
Conversation Questions for ESL Lessons
- Describe your worst travel experience.
- What was the most important chance meeting you’ve experienced?
- How would you describe a good life?
- How did going to school shape you as a person?
- How important do you think self-improvement is?
- What will the future of transportation look like?
- What strategies do you use to make big decisions?
- What are some of your plans for the future?
- How would you explain the idea of love to an alien?
- What policies could the government implement to improve people’s health?
- What was the scariest dream you’ve had?
- What life hacks have you found to be particularly effective?
- If you could design a reality TV show, what would it be like?
- What combinations of flavors do you like, and why do they taste so good?
- How have standards of beauty changed in your lifetime?
- What is your best school story?
- Why do some words sound funny to us?
- What are the best and worst things about your favorite restaurant?
- How would your country change if children were allowed to vote?
- What experiments would you like to run if time and money weren’t an issue?
- How would the world change if some people could use magic spells, and some people could not?
- Why is it so hard to learn from our mistakes?
- What is your most controversial opinion?
- How do you usually celebrate some of the major holidays?
- What valuable lessons should we learn from history?
- How has photography changed the world?
- How do your values differ from others?
- How do you wish your country would change?
- What completely baseless conspiracy would you like to start?
- What social situations do you dread?