25 for and against essay topics that can be also used for class debates.
For and against essay topics: layout.
• The first paragraph should be the introduction. Include a thesis statement, which summarises the main issue.
• The second paragraph should focus on the advantages. Include at least two arguments, if possible. Give examples where appropriate, introduced by phrases like For example or For instance.
• The third paragraph should focus on the disadvantages. Include at least two arguments, if possible. Begin the third paragraph with a phrase like On the other hand or However,.. to express contrast with statements in the previous paragraph.
• The fourth paragraph should be the conclusion. State your own opinion and decide whether the arguments for outweigh the arguments against the thesis statement or the other way around.
Source: Solutions Upper-Intermediate
For and against essay topics
- Having a role model can affect someone negatively.
- Should dyed hairstyles be allowed in school?
- Can a bad upbringing be an excuse for a felony?
- Social media – a blessing or a curse?
- It’s possible to learn to love somebody.
- You don’t need a college degree to be successful.
- Your past does not define you.
- Does watching fantasy films affect our perception of reality?
- Should there be a mandatory number of trees per square kilometer?
- Should people older than 65 be able to be politicians?
- Should healthcare be state-owned or privatized?
- Is immortality a blessing or a curse?
- Is the sous-vide method of preparing meals worth trying?
- Should self-driving cars be illegal?
- Should sharing hoaxes and false information on the Internet be severely punished?
- Should students do a part-time job while they are still studying?
- Sessions with a therapist should be mandatory for kids and teens
- Every country in the world should ban cigarettes.
- Every country in the world should stop producing and selling plastic bags and bottles.
- Field trips to prisons should be mandatory to help lower the crime rate.
- Scientists should pair people up for marriage based on DNA.
- A new universal language should be taught in every school.
- Should universities be apolitical?
- Do orphans have the same opportunities to be successful as children from complete families?
- Should the state have more control over our privacy?
Download the worksheet.