25 for and against essay topics that can be also used for class debates.
For and against essay topics: layout.
• The first paragraph should be the introduction. Include a thesis statement, which summarises the main issue.
In the past, most people lived with their parents until they got married. But in the modern world, it is more common to leave home and share accommodation with friends. This choice has both positive and negative aspects.
• The second paragraph should focus on the advantages. Include at least two arguments, if possible. Give examples where appropriate, introduced by phrases like For example or For instance.
There are several advantages to sharing with friends. Firstly, it gives you the opportunity to spend time with your friends and to build strong relationships with them. Secondly, it allows you to develop some of the practical skills that you will need as an independent adult. For instance, you will learn how to manage household bills, how to shop and cook, and so on. And thirdly, it makes living in your own home more affordable, and the more people who share, the more cost-effective it is. For instance, a shared house for six people is far cheaper than two houses for three people.
• The third paragraph should focus on the disadvantages. Include at least two arguments, if possible. Begin the third paragraph with a phrase like On the other hand or However,.. to express contrast with statements in the previous paragraph.
On the other hand, sharing a home has its disadvantages. Sharing a house can often cause disagreements. For instance, housemates often argue about household chores. What is more, it can be difficult to have time alone when you need it. And finally, the houses which young people share are sometimes in poor condition and landlords are not always good at repairing appliances when they break down.
• The fourth paragraph should be the conclusion. State your own opinion and decide whether the arguments for outweigh the arguments against the thesis statement or the other way around.
Although sharing a house with other young people is not always easy, the advantages definitely outweigh the problems. It is certainly something I would like to do in a few years’ time.
Source: Solutions Upper-Intermediate
For and against essay topics
- Having a role model can affect someone negatively.
- Should dyed hairstyles be allowed in school?
- Can a bad upbringing be an excuse for a felony?
- Social media – a blessing or a curse?
- It’s possible to learn to love somebody.
- You don’t need a college degree to be successful.
- Your past does not define you.
- Does watching fantasy films affect our perception of reality?
- Should there be a mandatory number of trees per square kilometer?
- Should people older than 65 be able to be politicians?
- Should healthcare be state-owned or privatized?
- Is immortality a blessing or a curse?
- Is the sous-vide method of preparing meals worth trying?
- Should self-driving cars be illegal?
- Should sharing hoaxes and false information on the Internet be severely punished?
- Should students do a part-time job while they are still studying?
- Sessions with a therapist should be mandatory for kids and teens
- Every country in the world should ban cigarettes.
- Every country in the world should stop producing and selling plastic bags and bottles.
- Field trips to prisons should be mandatory to help lower the crime rate.
- Scientists should pair people up for marriage based on DNA.
- A new universal language should be taught in every school.
- Should universities be apolitical?
- Do orphans have the same opportunities to be successful as children from complete families?
- Should the state have more control over our privacy?
Download the worksheet.
Picture Prompts for Speaking and Writing: An ESL Activity
Storytelling Cards: Imaginative Speaking and Writing Activity
Questions for ESL Conversation: 60 Questions Based on Vogue Interviews
ESL/EFL Speaking Activity: Role Play Debate