If you’re an ESL teacher, you know that speaking is a difficult skill for students to master. Plus, speaking can be intimidating. It’s one thing to write and another thing entirely to perform in front of others. That’s why these 60 questions for ESL conversation based on Vogue’s 73 Question series, in which celebrities quickly answer random questions, is great for practicing speaking skills with your students.
You can start this activity by watching Adele’s take on 73 questions. After that, put your students in pairs so they can play out their version of the interview. To do that, download the worksheet 60 Questions for ESL Conversation.
The worksheet contains 60 questions divided into 2 sets. This is a pairwork activity, so students can both ask and answer the questions.
- Allow the students 5 minutes to read the questions and to make sure they understand and look up any unfamiliar vocabulary.
- Explain that they have to conduct the interview in the style of Vogue’s 73 questions, so they have to quickly ask and answer the questions.
- Decide how long it should take and tell them, I would allow 5-10 minutes based on the level of the group.
As a variation of the activity, they can record each other’s responses to create a similar video to the one below.
60 Questions for ESL Conversation Activity
- What’s the best thing that happened to you this month?
2. What is something you’re tired of?
3. What is something that recently moved you?
4. If you could teach one subject in school what would it be?
5. What’s your favorite beverage?
7. What is your favorite cake?
6. What is your favorite movie?
7. What is something you can’t do?
8. What is one habit you wish you could break?
9. What makes you laugh no matter what?
10. What does creativity mean to you?
11. What are your favorite lyrics of all time?
12. What is something you’ve always wanted to try but you’ve been too scared to do?
13. What did you want to do with your life at age 12?
14. What is something you will not be doing in ten years?
15. What is an important life lesson for someone to learn?
16. What is one goal you are determined to achieve in your lifetime?
17. Would you ever live anywhere besides where you live now?
18. What is your favorite dessert?
19. Is there a dessert you don’t like?
20. It’s brunch! What do you eat?
21. Who is your favorite artist?
22. Favorite Disney animal?
23. What is a book you are planning on reading?
24. What did you read most recently?
25. Favorite solo artist?
26. What’s your favorite board game?
27. What’s a city you wish to visit?.
28. Where does one go on a perfect road trip?
29. What do you do on a rainy day?
30. What’s your favorite exercise?
1. What is your worst subject in school?
2. What do you usually eat for breakfast?
3. What do you usually eat for dinner?
4. Favorite baked good?
5. What is something you wish you could be good at?
6. Skiing or Surfing?
7. Cooking or Baking?
8. Most recent celebrity crush?
9. What’s your favorite clothing brand or store?
10. How do you manage stress?
11. What do you do to relax?
12. Favorite fashion trend of all time?
13. Best fashion advice you’ve ever received?
14. Trend you would like to see disappear forever?
15. What is your spirit animal?
16. Television show you’ve binged on recently?
17. Who do you turn to when you’re sad?
18. Name one thing you’ve learned the hard way?
19. If you could make a documentary about anything, what would it be?
20. What is your Kryptonite?
21. What are you most enchanted by?
22. What is your biggest strength?
23. What is your biggest weakness?
24. What are 3 words to describe living where you live?
25. Cutest thing on planet earth?
26. Most important advice you’d give your future children?
27. Best first date idea?
28. What do you first notice about someone when you meet them?
29. What’s your guilty pleasure?
30. Plans for the weekend?