This speaking and listening activity consists of a video warm-up activity and food conversation questions.
As a warm-up activity watch this video on the 15 best foods around the world. Have students take notes on each food as they watch.
- What is it made of?
- How was it prepared?
- Where does it come from?
- Have you ever tried that?
After you watch the video, put students in groups or pairs, and have them compare notes and discuss what foods from the video they’ve tried or would like to try.
A tip, whenever I need my student to work in pairs or teams, I use Random Team Generator. It’s super easy and convenient.
Food conversation questions
- Do you eat to live or do you live to eat?
- Which food did you hate as a kid?
- Which food did you love as a kid but hate now?
- If you could only eat three meals for the rest of your life what would you eat?
- What kind of sweets do you like?
- What is your favorite snack?
- What do you think about cooking shows?
- Do you think it’s important to know how to cook?
- What is your favorite fast food?
- What food would you choose to eat as your first meal after a year abroad?
- What food would you choose as your last meal?
- What is your favorite condiment?
- What food do you eat in your country when celebrating something or during holidays?
- Who are better cooks, men or women?
- What is your favorite cuisine? What do you like about it?
- What is the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
- What is the most delicious thing you’ve ever eaten?
- Do you prefer to eat at home or eat out?
- How healthy is your national cuisine?
- What is the best cuisine in the world?
Download: Food ESL Conversation Questions
Need more food resources?