This speaking activity contains 50 ESL conversation questions for teenagers and adult learners. (16+, B1+). It is best for small groups or as a pair-work.
The slideshow can be used as a resource for online teaching, just share your screen on Zoom or other app when teaching online. Click on the full screen option in the top right corner of the slideshow and your whole group can discuss or if you want to use the activity in smaller groups, assign your students into breakout rooms and send them the PDF with the conversation questions before your lesson. During the lesson, pop into the breakout rooms to listen in and observe.
1. You have to save the world tomorrow, who’s in your team?
2. What is your favorite summertime memory? Why?
3. Who do you think impacted your personality the most? Why?
4. What is your go to skill in a talent show?
5. When was the last time you did something new?
6. What are you passionate about?
7. What makes you laugh the most?
8. What is best about being an adult?
9. What is best about being a teenager?
10. What is your favorite smell?
11. When was the last time you cried because you laughed too hard?
12. What are you most self conscious about?
13. If you had 24 hours to live what would you do?
14. What have you started that you didn’t finish? Why?
15. What is your favorite guilty pleasure?
16. Road trip or flying?
17. What is your favorite childhood memory?
18. Who is the one person you can always count on?
19. Sunset or Sunrise?
20. What quote would you tattoo on yourself and where?
21. What inspires you?
22. What always makes you smile?
23. If you could be any character (book/movie/TV) who would it be?
24. What accomplishment of yours are you most proud of?
25. Where would you live for a year if money were no object?
26. What is your go to karaoke song?
27. Star Wars or Star Trek…or neither?
28. What weird food combinations do you really enjoy?
29. If magic was real, what spell would you try to learn first?
30. Do you believe people can truly change?
31. What problem are you currently grappling with?
32. What is the most adventurous thing you’ve ever done?
33. What is the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you?
34. Which of your vices or bad habits would be the hardest to give up?
35. Name something that is completely overrated.
36. Is it better to be loved or to love?
37. If you had to choose only one, love or money?
38. What do you miss the most about being a kid?
39. Who do you wish you could get back into contact with?
40. What is the kindest thing you’ve ever done for someone else?
41. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up?
42. What makes you feel really alive?
43. What’s the most spontaneous thing you’ve ever done?
44. What are you thankful for at this very moment?
45. Would you rather be in space or under the sea?
46. What is your favorite family tradition?
47. Where do you want to be in 10 years?
48. What would your friends be surprised you like to do?
49. When was the last time you gazed at the stars?
50. What is the one meal you never get tired of eating?