ESL games and activities can be incredibly beneficial for students of any age and level of English.
What are the advantages in using games in the classroom?
- Games provide a break from the usual routine of lesson.
- They are motivating and challenging and engaging.
- Learning a language requires a great deal of effort. Games help
- students to make and sustain the effort of learning.
- Games provide language practice in the various skills – speaking,
- writing, listening and reading.
- They encourage students to interact and communicate.
- They create a meaningful context for language use.
- Games are learner-centered (the student is always in focus).
- Games reduce learning anxiety.
- Games encourage creativity and spontaneous usage of the language.
- Games foster participatory attitudes of the students.
ESL games are very versatile, they can be used to warm up the class before the lesson, during the lesson to give students a break and relax, or at the end of class when you have a few minutes left to kill.
ESL games are used to teach and practice vocabulary, practice conversation, negotiation, they promote teamwork and cooperation.
If you don’t use games in your lessons, or use them only sporadically, maybe it’s time to start enjoying all the benefits and fun they can bring into the classroom.