Here is an extensive list of my favorite English games to play with my students. Board games Cards Against Humanity:… Read More »Best English Games to Play in Your ESL Classroom
ESL games and activities can be incredibly beneficial for students of any age and level of English.
What are the advantages in using games in the classroom?
- Games provide a break from the usual routine of lesson.
- They are motivating and challenging and engaging.
- Learning a language requires a great deal of effort. Games help
- students to make and sustain the effort of learning.
- Games provide language practice in the various skills – speaking,
- writing, listening and reading.
- They encourage students to interact and communicate.
- They create a meaningful context for language use.
- Games are learner-centered (the student is always in focus).
- Games reduce learning anxiety.
- Games encourage creativity and spontaneous usage of the language.
- Games foster participatory attitudes of the students.
- Games develop critical thinking, problem solving, and imagination.
- Games are adaptable for different levels of knowledge.
- Educational games are easy to understand and use.
- Games may be used in the classroom as rewards for students.
Games increase motivation and desire for self-improvement.
Challenge and competition are key factors for any game and students pay more attention to completing the task.
ESL games are very versatile, they can be used to warm up the class before the lesson, during the lesson to give students a break and relax, or at the end of class when you have a few minutes left to kill.
ESL games are used to teach and practice vocabulary, practice conversation, negotiation, they promote teamwork and cooperation.
If you don’t use games in your lessons, or use them only sporadically, maybe it’s time to start enjoying all the benefits and fun they can bring into the classroom.
Is your teaching style or personality similar to one of the famous teachers? Let’s find out! Which famous teacher are… Read More »Quiz: Which Teacher Are You? Do You Teach Like Einstein or Montessori?
Learn vocabulary by explaining the definitions. Careful, you can’t use some words, they are forbidden!
Christmas Forbidden Words Card Game.
Here are a couple of ideas for online teaching ESL activities and games that can be assigned to students so… Read More »Engaging Online Teaching: ESL Activities and Games
It’s June, the most wonderful month. For students, but mostly for teachers. We really need that break. But before you… Read More »Last Days ESL Activities and Games : No-prep, Easy to Print
I have one more week of teaching ahead of me. Three more weeks of work. There is more paperwork now… Read More »6 Fun Activities Exhausted ESL Teachers Will Appreciate At The End Of The Term
Vocabulary activity: compound nouns.
Download the free PDF here.
Vocabulary activity game. Download the game here: Compound nouns dominoes Places Other vocabulary resources: Travel/Holiday Vocabulary Cards Useful Classroom Tip:… Read More »ESL Game Compound Nouns Dominoes: Town and Countryside
Forbidden Words is a game card activity based on Taboo. The aim of the game is to explain given words,… Read More »Business English Vocabulary Card Game | Forbidden Words