The focus of this activity is to practice grammar while speaking. These conversation questions with future tenses will help the students better understand when to use various future tenses.
When we want to talk about the future we can use these tenses/structures:
- We can use the Present Simple when we want to talk about scheduled events
The movies starts at 8.30 p.m.
- We can use the Present Continuous when we want to talk about future arrangements
I’m meeting my friend Jack for beer on Friday.
- We can use going to when we want to talk about our plans or intentions, or if we make predictions based on evidence.
I’m going to clean the house on Saturday. (plan)
Be careful, the ice is so thin, it’s going to break. (evidence-based prediction)
- We can use will for expressing opinions and beliefs about the future, and to talk about offers and promises
I’m sure I will win this game!
I will love you forever.
Of course there are more structures/tenses we use when talking about the future(future continuous, future perfect, modals), but for our conversation question activity, we will be using only these four future tenses.
Conversation questions: Future Tenses
- What time does your favorite shop open?
- When do your final exams start?
- When is your next Zoom meeting?
- Are you doing anything interesting this weekend?
- Are you meeting anyone in person this week?
- Are you doing anything on Wednesday?
- What are you having for dinner tomorrow?
- Are you planning anything special for your next birthday?
- How organized is your life? How does your calendar look? Any scheduled events? Arrangements?
- Are you going to order take-out this week?
- Are you going to cook this weekend?
- What are you going to do in the evening?
- What is the next show you are going to watch?
- What is the first place you are going to visit when it’s possible to travel again?
- What are you going to study in the future?
- How do you think the world will change in 20 years?
- What will you do after you graduate?
- How will your life change in a year?
- Will scientists ever discover life on other planets?
- How do you think technology will change our lives?
Conversation Questions: Present Perfect and Past Simple
ESL Speaking Activity: Conditional Discussion Questions
Phrasal Verbs Activity and Exercises, Conversation Questions and PDF Worksheet
What? When? Where? Asking Questions ESL Activity
28 ESL/EFL Conversation Starters to Spark Conversation
Pingback: Conversation Starters: 30 Interesting Conversation Questions - EFL Ideas
Pingback: Conversation Questions Passive Voice - EFL Ideas