This is a very simple improvisation ESL activity that promotes speaking and helps develop improvisation skills and creativity.
- Print the worksheet and cut the cards. There are two types of cards: unfinished sentences/questions, and crazy/funny/unusual objects.
- Put the cards into two separate piles.
- Put the students into pairs or groups and give each pair/group both piles.
- Students take turns and draw a card first from the sentence pile and then from the object pile. They create a statement, question or a speaking prompt.
- Set a time limit( from one to five minutes, depending on the level of the group)
- When the student successfully speaks for the set amount of time, they keep their cards.
- The student with the highest number of cards is the winner.
Download the Improvisation Cards ESL Speaking Activity below. PDF for easy printing.
|What is your opinion on_____________?||What would happen if_________________ hit your house at night?|
|I really like____________ because……….||Have you ever heard of______. No? So, listen…|
|I will tell you something about________________.||I can’t imagine my life without_________________.|
|What do I think about________________? Well,…||The only thing I’ve ever wanted was ____________because….|
|I’m really afraid of_____________because…..||I love____________________.|
|I hate____________________.||Our planet will be destroyed by___________.|
|The only thing that can save|
our planet is_____________.
|Have you seen that movie about__________? No? It was………….|
|_______________is my favourite music group.||I’m an expert on____________________.|
|Once I stole____________.|| I woke up in the middle of the night and |
|very hairy dwarfs||slime balls|
|monkey brains||talking dogs|
|Daenerys Targaryen||my parent’s clones|
|Billie Eilish||snakes and spider|
|dirty toes||giant meatballs|
|singing flamingos||joking pandas|
|shy polar bears||time machine|
|mad scientists||sneezing dinosaurs|
|vegan cavemen||toothless sharks|
|dancing dragons||Viking Gods|