This is a very simple improvisation ESL activity that promotes speaking and helps develop improvisation skills and creativity.
- Print the worksheet and cut the cards. There are two types of cards: unfinished sentences/questions, and crazy/funny/unusual objects.
- Put the cards into two separate piles.
- Put the students into pairs or groups and give each pair/group both piles.
- Students take turns and draw a card first from the sentence pile and then from the object pile. They create a statement, question or a speaking prompt.
- Set a time limit( from one to five minutes, depending on the level of the group)
- When the student successfully speaks for the set amount of time, they keep their cards.
- The student with the highest number of cards is the winner.
Download the Improvisation Cards ESL Speaking Activity below. PDF for easy printing.
|What is your opinion on_____________?
|What would happen if_________________ hit your house at night?
|I really like____________ because……….
|Have you ever heard of______. No? So, listen…
|I will tell you something about________________.
|I can’t imagine my life without_________________.
|What do I think about________________? Well,…
|The only thing I’ve ever wanted was ____________because….
|I’m really afraid of_____________because…..
|Our planet will be destroyed by___________.
|The only thing that can save
our planet is_____________.
|Have you seen that movie about__________? No? It was………….
|_______________is my favourite music group.
|I’m an expert on____________________.
|Once I stole____________.
| I woke up in the middle of the night and
|very hairy dwarfs
|my parent’s clones
|snakes and spider
|shy polar bears